August 4, 2013

1 year ago and 21 days from now

Let me put this as simply as I can...

I AM READY TO BE DONE!

Yep, I've reached that point...and my family has too!  I thought 6 hours on a bike was a long training day...my wife would tell you 6 hours alone with 3 kids on a Saturday was equally as difficult!

It is amazing that it was just 1 year ago that I reached what I thought was the peak of my triathlon career - finishing my first Ironman 70.3 at Steelhead!!  (Steelhead 2013 is today (8/4), but last year was on 8/19 - so my first full comes just 371 days later)

And now, in just 21 days I will take on double that distance! (p.s. that WILL be the peak)

This weekend was the peak training weekend.  Taper more or less starts tomorrow!  So what does the peak look like, well it's different for everyone, but here is what mine ended up looking like: Long swim = 1.4 mile; Long bike = 100 miles; Long run = 13.1 miles
(In case forgot, the full distance is 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run)

It should come as no surprise that I'm most proud of the bike.  My first 100 mile ride was just yesterday and I had great company with fellow MAFS Kirk who did his first century ride also.  The long swim came this morning and was supposed to be over 3k in the pool, but I had a chance to go open water with some MAFS friends, so settled for 1.4 miles.  I may still do the pool workout this week yet.  The long run was on Thursday morning and was a run 9 min/walk 1 min repeat and worked out GREAT.

So now the challenge of putting it all together.  I anticipate a few brick like workouts in the coming weeks, but otherwise it all boils down to putting it together on race day.

I'm still tailoring some A, B and C goals for race day and will share them soon.  I'm becoming more and more anal about what I'm eating, how much I'm sleeping, and in general not doing anything stupid (e.g.  Today is Emma's 9th birthday and we're going to Skyzone (indoor trampoline park), which I will choose not to jump out of fear of injury.

Coach seems pleased with my progress, and veteran Ironman friends are telling me I'm there.  Now to stay healthy, and pray for the perfect day.  21 days to go...I think I'm ready!



No comments:

Post a Comment