October 28, 2009

Wanna get away?

Sorry for my absence; I've been on vacation! It was a wonderful trip to Las Vegas with my wife and no kids. Did I mention it was wonderful? You can read her blog for details of the trip itself. Now when two adults say they're going on "vacation", "without kids", "alone", "in a hotel", "in Las Vegas", one might get an image of partying like a rock star, and...well...you know...but let's take a look at how the 30-something, parents of 3 define a vacation...

Vacation is both a noun and a verb. It is defined as
1
: a respite or a time of respite from something
2 a : a scheduled period during which activity is suspended
b : a period of exemption from work granted to an employee
3 : a period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation
4 : an act or an instance of vacating

I'm particularly fond of the first definition which includes respite.

Respite is also both a noun and a verb. It is defined as
1 : a period of temporary delay
2 : an interval of rest or relief

I'm particularly fond of the second definition which includes rest.

Rest is also both a noun and a verb. It is defined as
1 : repose, sleep; specifically : a bodily state characterized by minimal functional and metabolic activities
2 a : freedom from activity or labor
b : a state of motionlessness or inactivity c : the repose of death
3 : a place for resting or lodging
4 : peace of mind or spirit
5 a (1) : a rhythmic silence in music (2) : a character representing such a silence
b
: a brief pause in reading
6 : something used for support

I'm particularly fond of the first definition which includes sleep.

Sleep is also both a noun and a verb. It is defined as
1 : the natural periodic suspension of consciousness during which the powers of the body are restored
2 : a state resembling sleep: as a : a state of torpid inactivity b : death c : the closing of leaves or petals especially at night d : a state marked by a diminution of feeling followed by tingling e : the state of an animal during hibernation
3 a : a period spent sleeping b : night c : a day's journey
4 : crusty matter present in the corner of an eye upon awakening

I'm particularly fond of the first definition...

So if you ask me "How was your vacation?, did you party like a rock star?" I will simply respond, "you bet...every night seemed to end up in a suspension of consciousness during which the powers of my body were completely restored....if you know what I mean!"

I ADVISE U to take a "vacation". Find some respite. Get some rest. You need your sleep! I haven't felt this refreshed in a very long time!

1 comment:

  1. I'm just glad you didn't say that your vacation was like the crusty matter present in the corner of an eye upon awakening!! :)

    ReplyDelete